Saturday, August 25, 2007

Alienation of Quiapo

Category: Arts, Places and Events



I always shop in the refined commercial centers in Alabang and Makati. I enjoy promenading in the vast labyrinth of polished marble floors, listening to the euphonious music and relaxing inside the air-conditioned boutiques and movie houses. There are bigger parking spaces so I have no difficulty finding an adequate space to park my car. And if ever I needed anything, I need not to go further than a mall. Glorietta 4 or known as G4 is my favorite hangout because it is already complete with cafĂ©’s, fast-food restaurants, novelty shops and boutique stores.


However, at one point of time, I cannot find any combat shoes that I need in our C.A.T. training in Glorrieta and in the other malls that I have been. My grandmother advised me it isn’t that the goods in Quiapo are poor in quality because whatever you can find there, you can also find the same kind in the malls but the only difference is the price.

Quiapo has stood longer. It acceded with our parents and grandparents way back. Yet, strangely enough Quiapo seems a foreign land to us. It is true that whatever is sold there is cheap but we tend to liken cheap with embarrassing. We, Pinoys, are becoming blinded to what to most of us is dead real. Quiapo’s streets are filthy and smelly with poor roads and scattered garbage and that is the reason why we seem reluctant to venture there. But if that is the case isn’t it that traffic and stench and other things and much worse are everyday occurrences in out city? Sad to say, places like Quiapo have become unfamiliar to their own people.

Written By: Lani Diana Santos
Date: October 17, 2001

No comments: