Saturday, August 25, 2007

Movie: Pay It Forward


Category: Movies


I remember the time when I was in college a few years ago when my professor in Personality Psychology mentioned his favorite movie while discussing our topic of the day: altruism. Altruism is a term that refers to doing good deeds and service work for others out of the goodness of one's own heart and without expecting anything in return. He recommended the class to watch the movie "Pay it Forward" and see if it will also touch our lives as it touched his. I can say that it is a movie from the heart that connects with the heart.


The film revolves around Trevor and all the people around him. The climax started when their class was assigned to think of an idea to change the world and put it into action. For me, Trevor's idea was absolutely brilliant for it is better to put the good deed forward to three other people and try to make a difference in their lives than returning it back to the person who gave it to you. Now, two years later, watching it again brings back old memories, fresh tears and somehow makes me wonder for a second time if I can also change the world like what Trevor did in the movie. I have also doubted its possibility many times for I have speculated deep in my mind that it is not in our human nature to be truly altruistic. Such a person only exists in a perfect world…in a realm which we call Utopia. However, try as I might, I now realize that nothing is impossible with God and it is now up to us if we can make it possible. I must admit that it is undoubtedly challenging to think of something I can do to others…something that I can do to really help them.


After hours of pondering, I decided that the help should not really be something that people cannot accomplish on their own like what Trevor did. Maybe, I can be able to make a difference in my own little way even though it is not something very very immense. ..First, I can be able to render my help to anyone without counting how many I've helped. Second, I can share the Gospel with other people. When I was in college, my classmate gave me one to one sessions about certain topics about the Bible and about the Christian life. After the lessons, I was expected to do the same way so I decided to choose my mother as my student… It's is also up to me if I want to share it with more people..The idea was great but I was not able to finish the lessons with my mother. I cannot just sit back, relax and let the idea atrophy.

The movie somehow woke me up from my deep slumber because I have been dealing with only the earthly things that I do day after day these past few months. I can sense that something is missing in my life right now. My plan at the moment is to continue what I stopped doing which I have mentioned above. And as what Trevor said, we should not just give up because when we do, everybody kind of loses. I think I can in one way or another help others and change the world by doing that.


Written By: Lani Diana Santos
Date: October 2006

No comments: